(Un)Usual Day.




(Un)usual day is a short story revolving around three main characters George, Emma and Irina. They share a horrific past but not many know about it. It's a story how a usual day turns about to be completely unusual. 
#shortstory approx 30 minutes read...




5:00 Am

Alarm!

Tring! Tring! Tring! Tring!

A manly hand comes out of a blanket and hurriedly finds the phone and hit the snooze button...

After an hour and many ignored alarms....

Bang! (a sudden loud sound)

A bang on the door and a man wakes up horrified...

Shit! (Shouts)

This idiot newspaper boy, how many times I have to tell him not to bang newspaper on the door. I'll kill him..,  man says angrily. 

He throws his blanket aside and walks towards the main door. He angrily looks for the boy in neighborhood, failed to do so he picks the newspaper angrily closes the door and move towards the half open door on  the first floor. He goes near the bed where a girl is sleeping peacefully. A smile comes on his face mere looking at her.

He kisses her forehead and says, "It's time to wake up princess. I'll go get bath and then I am going to make you a special omelet for breakfast. You too get ready or else... Your Aunt will be here and she will not like to see you late in bed."

Girl trying to slid in her blanket but hearing the name a five years old girl excitedly jumps out of her bed.

A girl not too long, wearing pink pyjamas, big black eyes and short hair never the less looked like a princess.

" Aunt Marthaaaaa, I almost forgot. I'll get ready fast and please don't make that special omelet that you made yesterday, it was really bad."

Bad??? Bad??? Really, but you said it was nice." Man said.

Yes Daddy....What should I have said with your big blue eyes staring at me.

After an hour.

A door bell rang and the girl runs to open the door and shouts "Aunt Marthaaaa I misssssss...." She suddenly stops and asks..."Who are you.... Where's Aunt Martha."

A lady in bright yellow dress with big brown eyes and long sleek hair stood at the main door.

Hi, my name Irina. Can I come in... Please...(she asks with full energetic smile.)

Man comes towards door and enquires from the lady. He looks as confused as the little girl. Man was tall or looked standing right next to the little girl. Man with blue sleepy eyes and bushy eyebrows and mustache stood at the other side of the door.

Hi, you must be George. I am Irina. Martha asked me to give you this. She took out an envelope roughly folded and handed it to the man.

Man opened the envelope and read it loud. His voice was so manly that she couldn't ignore.

Man gives a sad look to his daughter, "She is busy. Sorry... Please welcome Miss Jones inside..." 

Girl runs towards her room crying...She promised...Now she is busy...I'll never talk to her.

Irina stood there still waiting for their approval.

"Hi, Please come in. Please don't mind. My daughter....She is bit emotional...."

Martha told me everything about her. You got a lovely daughter.

"How do you know Martha miss Jones. ".. George asked with curiosity.

Oh sorry! What will you have? Water, tea, coffee... Anything...

Call me Irina and I'll have plain water please.

It's been an year now after I got transferred Martha was my senior but now she is more of a friend.

She got a call from boss. He wanted her to accompany him on a lunch with some foreign delegates. So she asked me if I was free...And...I wassss kind of busy myself but also I was too eager to meet Emma, just to confirm that, Is she the one like I imagined her to be....Martha talks a lot about both of you...So I said yes...and.....Aren't you late for your date???

Oh! Oh yes! Date! So I'll quickly make breakfast and get ready... George said.

I can help with breakfast you can get your work done...

Ok then I'll go and talk to Emma first.. Please excuse me... Every thing you need is in the refrigerator... Kitchen is all yours...George was too happy to hand over the kitchen to her because it's been months since he had eaten a proper breakfast.

After about 15 minutes...
Emma and George comes out of the room.

Emma looked bit disappointed but tried to smile and said...

Hi Irina, I am sorry for my behavior..I was expecting Aunt Martha..She promised me that she'll spend this weekend with me.

Oh don't be sad. I have really great ideas for the day until Martha joins us but first let's eat breakfast..You must be hungry... What will you like to eat, let's have a look in the refrigerator. Help me with the stuff and then we'll discuss our plan for the day.

Emma looked carefully at Irina...and she couldn't take eyes off her...her eyes, lips, dress, hair hands, nails everything was so perfect for a five years old girl or may be she doesn't get to meet people often. 

"Irina" ........Emma said while helping her preparing sandwiches... "Are you a model??" 

Irina gives a loud laugh, Am I that beautiful??? I wish I was but no...I work with a financial firm with your Aunt and on weekends I help my mom with her fashion boutique after my dad passed away, I simply help her so that she doesn't feel alone.

"Do you have a boyfriend???", Emma asked

Hey..Hey....So many questions??? Slow down...Tell me something about you young lady or let me guess...

Hmmmmm.... I think you love rain...flowers..mountains... pizzas.. colours.. shoes.. and chocolates.....

Emma interrupts.....

How do you know??? She asked with astonishment.

"Magic........"
Emma's eyes sparkled when Irina made her fingers wave.....

Emma's disappointment vanished as she started enjoying Irina's company.

George comes out from his room formally dressed. "Sooo you've became friends...laughing together...Well that's a good sign.."

Irina looked at George and asked uncomfortably, "Aren't you too formally dressed for a date??" 

Emma jumps to hug her dad and starts murmuring in his ear...

Dad, she works in a fashion store. Isn't she beautiful. I thought she is a model and she......

Emma continued until George interfered.

Calm down Emma..Take a breath...
(Her murmur was loud enough to reach Irina's ears.) 

The laughter engulfed the whole dining room..The same room where hardly anyone sat for so long because for George and Emma dining room never existed. As they never actually sat on dining table to share meals.

George stood up, "I am on an official date with my head of department. We are heading to launch a new product in market...And We have a lot to discuss so I'll leave you here. If there's any problem.... Numbers are there on that diary.

Hopefully I'll catch up with you before 8 pm. If there's any change of plan I'll let you know. Ok Girls, Enjoy....And Emma. ..Be nice..."

George kissed his princess on her forehead and handed Irina a bag of medicines. Every thing's written about them. Please take care of my princess.

                                ********
Park at the corner of the street.


9:00 Am

Irina reading a book to Emma under the big bushy tree.


Emma was all lost in the words, she stood right in a house at Privet Drive and seeing Harry, a boy with scar, who had lost his parents and lived with his uncle and aunt.

Emma calls out Irina's name loud... Irina! 

I too lost my mom when a bad guy attacked us but somehow I survived... I also got a scar...(she lifts her shirt and shows a long cut on right side of her stomach.) Do you think I am a wizard too??? 

Irina looks at Emma and asks, Do you remember the day you got this mark??

Yes, I do. But dad and aunt Martha says I should forget but can't...I see things when I sleep.

Emma hasitated and asked Irina,
How did you know things about me... tell me about that magic spell you used back at home on me to reveal things???  

Ok....Sit here young lady... I'll tell you all about my magic spell but first tell me what do you remember about that day..

It's been months that she has talked to someone. The last time she narrated the incident, her dad and aunt Martha cried and a police man took notes.

It was a summer day when me and mom were at home. We were supposed to visit  Aunt Martha. It was too hot to travel so we decided to stay at home. Dad was busy in office. I wanted to play but mom said it's too early to go outside. Suddenly a door bell rang. I was too eager to play outside that I ran to open the door, Before my mom could get up I opened the door. 

(Emma voice was getting heavier with a horrid look). 

There was a man who gave weird smile. He pushed me hard and got hold of my mom who was coming towards the door and held her mouth...

Irina too was finding difficult to look relaxed. Her forehead was all folded..Eyes holding tears which made the vision blur but she held them back just to stay strong in front of a small girl.

Emma went on....That bad man tied us with big cello tapes... Our hands, feet, mouth everything was covered with cello tape...

And he took my mom inside. I sat there listening to my mom's screams. When he came out he...he held me really tight...he was a bad guy... I dont like him...I dont want to see him again

I remember I saw a big knife in his hand and I don't remember anything after that. Few days later everyone said my mom died and went to heaven but the man couldn't kill me...All I got was the scar...

Phone rings.....Tring! Tring!

Irina jumps with horror and tears drop down her eyes. Trying to hide her tears she starts finding her phone in her purse.

She tries to calm her voice but her throat felt heavy.

Irina; Hello...

Man's voice: Hello Irina... it's me George....How's everything going???

Irina: Oh! Everything is fine.. Emma and me are at the park reading a book.

George: ok...Hope she is not irritating you with her frequent questions...

Irina: oh! Nooo..No...No...She is really sweet...

George: can I talk to her for a second...

Irina: ya sure...Why not...

She hands over the phone to Emma..

Emma: Hello...

George: Hello! How's my princess doing? Hope you are enjoying without Martha.

Emma: Yess Daddy. Irina is reading me a book Harry Potter, I wonder if I am a wizard too coz I too got a scar when mom died??

George: Emma I told you not to remember all those things and not to talk to anyone about it.

Emma: but Daddy!

George: you listen to me young lady I don't want to complicate things so you better understand....You....(before he could complete the sentence)

Emma: ok daddy! I won't...

She gives phone to Irina.

George: Hello...Hello...??  

Irina: Yaa! Hello... Emma is fine don't worry..She took her medicines and we are about to go home since it's getting windy here.

George: OK... Take care .... Will call later..  Bye...
(Irina noticed that George sounded bit rough)

Before she could say anything he disconnected the call...

Irina gave a confused look to Emma and said, "I guess your dad is really busy, he didn't even wait for me to say bye."

So where were we... Emma trying to avoid eye contact... 

Did your Dad asked not to talk about the incident?? Irina asked..

Emma moved her head in affirmation...

Okkkkk....Irina took a deep breath...

Ok...Let's get you home...We need to prepare lunch. Tell me what do you like. How about ordering pizza???

Emma's smile was back on her lips..."But dad never allows pizza in lunch...", she said. 

Oh! Is that so...Then how about a magical dish made with my spells??? Irina trying to lighten the moment.

Emma why don't you help with my magical recipe and I'll teach you few spells....

Yes...Yes...But I don't have a wand...Emma was jumping in excitement.

Oh! You won't be needing one... Irina said with a lovely smile.

She knew no magic but a five years old girl was too innocent to believe the women whom she met the very morning.

                                  *******


Irina was a charming young woman. The way she made up spells to close the refrigerator, or moved the ladder, the names she gave to ingredients, the hand and eye movements gave an impression on a trained wizard.

She was a bubbly girl who had lot of similarities with the little girl she just met. Both went through horrible past but not many knew about it.

Irina was getting attached to Emma since Martha told her about her niece who was brutally beaten to death and her mother who was raped and killed leaving her and his dad.

Two Summer back...

Irina was off duty as she was back from a wedding still working on her project details, her mom was at boutique and her dad was not well and was at home that day. It was 4:00 pm when door bell rang and her dad opened the door when a man entered the house.

After few minutes when she went downstairs to see where the noise came from. She saw her dad lying badly wounded on the floor she rushed towards him when someone grabbed her from behind.



Irina was brutally raped and thrown to die..

Irina made her way to the main door with blood gushing from her wounds. A passerby informed the police but few minutes were not long enough to save her dad's life.

Irina was hospitalised with major injuries for days and was traumatised for months when she noticed her mother struggling with hospital, police and work, standing strong without her husband to save her only daughter.

Her mother aged years in just few month...
Irina decided to live her life and not let her mother die every single day seeing her daughter in a miserable condition living like a mere parasite.

Today, 4:00 pm

"Emma would you like to take a nap" , asked Irina.

Emma was so happy to be with Irina that she didn't want to nap. She wanted to be with her.

"No, I am not feeling sleepy. I have a doll house. Would you like to play with me.", Emma asked sweetly.

Ok...We will play with your doll house but first I'll call my mom. She would be worried....I told her that I'll be with a little princess today...So you wait for me I'll join you in a minute or two.... Irina smiled assuredly.

OK...I'll wait for you in my room..Don't be late for the tea party.

After few minutes....
Irina opened the door and said "see what I got for the tea party. Chocolate cookies and milk."


She was surprised to see the room where Emma was sitting with a beautiful doll house. The room in itself looked like some fairy castle but bit disorganised as someone was in hurry to place things.

Emma asked, "Do you miss your dad because I really miss my mom. I don't remember her much but I do remember her smile. She use to dress me, comb my hair, play with me. With dad it's not the same. Even with my nanny who comes to look after me. She is nice but....I miss my mom. "

Irina didn't say anything but listened to the her...

You know, sometimes I think what uncle Greg keeps saying... That I should peek from window before opening the door. He keeps telling me that stay away from strangers. I think that if I had looked out of the window then mom would be alive......I heard uncle Greg say this to Dad and Aunt Martha.

Irina never expected such talks from a 5 year old girl.

Irina suddenly goes close to Emma and hugs her tightly...Her body was shivering and her face went hot like an iron.

It's not your fault Emma...You were a baby...Don't ever think like that ever. Your uncle just wants you to be safe and there's nothing wrong in it. Accidents happen but you can't live with a guilt. You'll never be able to find answers for any of your If's...

This was not the first time Irina said these lines but the only difference was this time she said them loud and clear. She tried to explain things to Emma that she herself was struggling to understand.

Irina was holding Emma so tight that quite struggled to get out of her hold.

Irina...Irina...

Your phone... it's ringing...It must be dad...

Emma hurriedly picked the call while Irina was still shivering, her face was covered with sweat and tears....


Emma: Hello Daddy!

George: Emma, where is Irina? Is everything alright? Are you okay?

Emma: Dad we were playing with my doll house and now she is crying like a baby.

George: Crying??? What did you do Emma? ? I am on my way back home. I'll be there in an hour. Don't trouble her much. Be nice to her....OK...Wait...Give her the phone...

Emma turns but Irina was not in the room.

Emma: She was right here with my doll now she is gone...She just vanished...Must have used some spell. She is a really good witch just like Hermione Daddy...You...

George interrupts....

George: Emma she is not a witch and cannot vanish. Look for her she must have gone to the bathroom.

Emma: OK..I'll go check...

Irina comes out of bathroom rubbing her face with hand towel and takes the phones from Emma.

Irina: Hello.
(Emma in background was dancing in excitement that Irina has used a spell. Irina is a witch....Irina is a witch....Irina is a witch.)

George: Irina I am so sorry... Emma is naughty but I didn't knew that she could make someone cry.

Irina: No, Emma did nothing. I just dropped hot coffee on myself. I was talking to mom and by mistake...

George: oh! Ask Emma to give you the medical box. Do you need medical help? Should I call a doctor for you?

Irina: It's not that bad. I am fine...Don't worry... Emma and I are playing..Martha isn't here yet. I am afraid she won't be able to come it's too late now...

George: yaaaa...I called her...She is still busy... By the way I am on my way, will reach there in an hour...And don't bother about dinner...I'll bring that over...Take care...

Irina: OK...I'll tell Emma...Bye...

Geoge: bye..TC


                                       ******



Present Day, 8:30 pm.

George, Irina and Emma were sitting watching cartoons on TV and having dinner.

George noticed that Emma was hyperactive whereas Irina seemed exhausted.

"Emma, how was your day??", George asked.

It was fun daddy. We ate breakfast, then went to the park where Tracy read me a book, then we prepared a magical dish which I thought looked like scrambled eggs and pasta.

I guess we were trying to fool the muggles and then we had a tea party at doll house and then Irina and I made drawing where I made a doll and she made all my favourite things trees, mountain, river, flowers...And then we made... Oh! I forgot....Wait.....

George looks to Irina for an answer, "What???"... Emma shouts from her room...." Irina don't tell"

Irina roll her eyes, smiles and puts finger on her lips...

Emma comes running with a drawing sheet...

Look what Irina made...I also helped her..., Emma was super excited that she made her seat in her dad's lap...

OK...Let's see.....Oh! Wow....It's really beautiful.... George surprised smile made Irina feel uncomfortable.

Daddy it's me and you.. see I made that tree and birds....Isn't it Beautiful.... Emma didn't notice his father's eyes were still hooked upon Irina.

Daddy...Daddy.... Isn't it Beautiful??? (Emma touched his dad's cheek.)

"Ohhhhh... Oh! Yes dear it's really beautiful...Did you thank her...Give her your special gift...", George said...

Nancy goes running towards Irina and holds her from neck and kissed hard on her cheek...

"Oh! This is definitely the best gift ever...Thanks...", Irina tried hard to hold her laughter and kissed back..

Oh! I'll leave in an hour. My mom will be here by 10. After she closes the store...she offered me lift.

(Irina still sitting on Irina's lap...)

Please don't go Irina. I really like you here with me. I'll share my bed with you. You can go to work from here. Aunt Martha can come here tomorrow. We'll enjoy together....

George got a little uncomfortable and called Emma stretching his arms...." Come here my princess."

Emma went disappointed towards her dad...

Daddy please ask her to stay. I love her. I don't want her to go.. Please....

Irina stood and took the utensils just to avoid the conversation...

Emma kept repeating...Please don't go... Daddy please don't let her go...

Calm down Emma. I can understand you are fond of her but she has to go my princess. Like daddy loves you and can't live without you.. Her mom too loves her daughter. She can come again...If she wants...

Irina came back from kitchen. Emma went slowly towards Irina...... "Will you come again to play with me?."  Emma sounded disappointed.

"Of course dear, you are the sweetest girl I have ever met. How about next weekend at my place? Only if your dad allows. He can also come. My mom will be happy to have you  as guests." Irina spoke while untangling Emma's hair and by keeping her close in her arms.

Present Day, 9:00 pm

Emma got so tired that soon she fell asleep in Irina's arms.

George took Emma upstairs in his arms and placed her on the bed and kissed her softly on forehead.

Irina kept changing channels, she was lost in thoughts of starting a conversation with George.

George comes and sits facing the television.

I am so sorry Irina, Emma is really sensitive. She likes you but you don't need to force yourself in doing anything. It's been a while now that Emma's so happy to be with someone. It's different with Martha. She brings work home and Emma demands her full attention but she is great help.

I don't know what would I have done without Martha.

Its not easy to handle Emma and her emotions but thanks to medication she is fine and hopefully she will forget everything.

Irina: George, can I ask you one thing?

George: I know what you'll say..I know she told you about that incident and I know why you cried. It was not because of hot coffee... I see no stains on your clothes.

Irina: Have you ever tried to talk to her?

George: Talk? Why?
(After a long silence)

She is my baby. I don't want her to go through all that over and over again. I want her to forget everything.

Irina: Do you know she is getting nightmares?? And when she finds no one she talks to herself and has started blaming herself...She thinks her mother is gone because she opened the door.

George: Blaming herself?? She is just 5?? What do you know... You just met her 12 hours ago and you think- you know everything that we don't know. You don't know anything so let's not talk about it.

Irina: So what do you want, she doesn't talk as if nothing has happened... Everytime she'll say something everybody will sushhhh her away.... She is almost 6 now, she'll understand things sooner or later and will live adjust with the fact but not her fear but she can't live with constant fear and guilt.

George gets up and starts cleaning the table.

Irina: George talk to her. She needs you. Not talking about the problem will make things worse or else you'll loose her too.

George: (angrily looks at Irina) Thank you Irina but I don't want your suggestion. Its almost 10, your mom will be here any minute now. I appreciate that you took good care of my daughter. Stay away from our family matter.

Irina: The man who killed your wife, do you know.....

George: (interrupts) I don't want to talk and I don't care... I lost my wife, Atleast I got Emma with me. I don't want to loose her. I am happy that police caught him after some girl identified him. So story ends here.

Irina: Do you know your wife was not the only victim...A 11 years old girl who was returning from school, 22 years college girl who was waiting for a cab another teenager girl who was alone at home, a 56 yrs old lady who was returning from her Job, a woman and her daughter who were alone at home and a 34 yrs women...All were brutally raped... He even killed many who intervened.

George: How do you know all this??

Irina:  The police called you to bring Emma to identify him because she was one of the survivor, she was small but could have helped. But you refused.....

George: How do you....Know...???

Irina: It took 2 long months to catch that serial killer because he left no clues but fortunately or unfortunately there were 2 survivors...

George : 2...???

Irina: The girl who identified him and suffers a horrific past just like you and your daughter is me..Yes George. Me...

Today Emma is where I stand. I know that she too was raped....( George fell on his knees)...

Yes I know...

She is too young to understand things and isn't able to explain them clearly. But she won't be kid for long.

I felt every single word she said, her silence was much louder than words.

Medicine won't help unless you talk to her.

She needs someone to talk but the fear of explaining things and fear how you'll react is killing her. She is a lovely girl. She is a survivor. She cheated death because she is a fighter. Don't underestimate her...

George's face was red like blood... Eyes enlarged with horror.

Tracy went near him and placed her hand on his shoulder.

George busted in tears...

Irina hugged him and both cried....


No words were enough to fill the void.

                                ********









3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading it. I'll keep this page bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tragic... ☹️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emotional... Tragic...
    Still magical...
    Irina is my favorite character, loved her relationship with Emma...

    ReplyDelete