The Unexpected Life.




The unexpected Life is a short story about love, Relationships, Betrayal, Faith, Hope and Life.






Part 1: Silence


Today's evening didn't seem different until a door bell rang.

It was a normal day. Same like yesterday. Sound of traffic was too annoying as people were in a hurry to reach home. It was difficult to take longer nap in a roadside house. Nothing has changed in last 5 yrs. I was ready with 2 cups of tea. 

"Maa, tea is ready." 

A lady half bent came out from a room far from kitchen through long lobby she made seat in the balcony with book in her hand, hand folded so that book rested near her heart. She took a cup and without saying anything was lost in her thoughts. 

Yes she is my mother, my real mother. She is 60 yrs old but the wrinkles on her face and prominent dark circles made her look 10 to 15 yrs older. 

I took my cup and started checking my emails. We didn't talk, neither of us tried to start conversation. We lived in same house for years but would sit for brunch dinner and tea. I quickly finished my tea, got up and took my car keys and moved out of the door. That 10 min. Were too difficult to pass. 

My mom sat there. I knew what she was thinking, Why she didn't talk., Why she was so lost, I knew what she was about to do. Whenever I came back I found her sitting on the same chair crying and trying hard to hide it from me. I could sense it. I could feel her tears but never talked about it.



She had been like this since my father died. After 8 months and a big blame game of my Divorce. Shadow of death engulfed everything. My father was 63 when he lost hope. He was most caring, humble, sweet, sensitive, humorous, God fearing man. By profession he was a professor, but by choice he was an artist. Man who could fill colours in a dull life, storytelling was his passion. He was a real charmer. 

A saturation point came in my life when After months of misery and silence I finally cried and did the worst thing one could ever imagine. Last thing I said to him was "Are you Happy now, See what you have done to me, I am done with my life, I want to die and then you'll be free from me." Since then it's me and mom. I lost my dad.. I know he wanted best for me and he surely did.


Till date I curse myself for saying this. I wish he was here with me, with us. Since then my relationship with my mom got bitter. We never argued. I never had courage to ask her why she hasn't said anything to me? Why she wasn't with dad that night? Why she carried that book and never opened it, instead kept it very close,close to her heart. Why she left me alone to fight with my problems? Why...why....why...??? Many whys...


We both accepted life and just went with the flow.

Silence was part of our lives. 




Part-2 Door bell



"I am back maa. If you want anything, just let me know. I am in my room." I said hurriedly avoiding eye contact with my mom. 

I kept groceries aside and thought to make a call to Suketu,hopefully he  will be free by now..
"Hello, Suketu"
"Hello, Maa"
"How are you beta, how was your exam?"
" Everything is fine"
"Maa, I am late for my cricket match will call you later" bye maa love you...
K beta...lov.......
Before I could say love you, miss you he was gone.

Suketu is my 9 yrs old son, he lives with his father. He was 4 when his dad decided to divorce me so that he could marry his long time girlfriend who was pregnant with his child. I had no option but to accept it. But to live far away from my son was not acceptable. But his powerful links and my mental and financial conditions made me weaker.

This was not the future I dreamt of. I never planned anything in my life but would life have been different if I had plans?? May be...or may be not??


All these years I have known my son from all those precious emails and pictures he used to send. Ramya taught him. Ramya his stepmother. He kind of liked her, because she never tried to stop him for contacting me. She made arrangements for our meetings. Even his dad didn't mind, he knew I was no harm to him and his family. Together  they were a family. Other then that I knew nothing. 

I left a message " Mumma loves you baby."

And went for bath.Taking a nice long Bath seemed best option to me to hide emotions. It was then the bell rang and thereafter long silence. I kept thinking, life would have been beautiful with my son around. Not seeing him in pictures but see him daily. Taking care of him. And why I lost control and said all those things to my dad. There's not been a single day since then, that I haven't reimagined things, wish there was rewind button.

My mom never disturbed me while I was in my room or spending too much time in bathroom. I think even she could sense my tears like I could sense hers.

My eyes all watery n red, vision blurred. I made way towards my Almira than suddenly I saw a shadow. I knew that wasn't my mom. Before I could figure out someone jumped in front of me and hugged me tightly. There I saw my mom standing near the door. Smiling and I could see tears rolling down her cheeks. In all those years I have forgotten her smiling face, that perfect arc that would made my problems look simple. I could see her lips trembling...
"Maa", voice said.

"Suketu.....Suketu....maa 
Suketu...maa...maa Suketu...
Is this you??? "...I asked in panicked voice.

"Yes..this is you...Suketu...my baby...maaa look...my baby...my baby maaa...Suketu..."... Spoke with tears of joy voice cracking.





Part-3: Meeting with the strangers.



I didn't know what to say..I couldn't speak anything...there I was sitting on floor crying out loud. My heart pounding so hard that It made me deaf. Holding my baby in my arms. Kissing him...



Is this a dream...Am I asleep...No...No...don't wake...please...please...this is the best dream I have ever seen...please don't wake...my head confused me...I didn't knew weather I was re imagining things or it was real.


Suddenly I felt a kiss on my cheek and I knew this wasn't my dream.





The second I was back in my senses and saw my son whom I holding tightly. A single moment was so powerful that It filled my heart with love and joy. I never wanted to let it go but Far from other room I could hear someone shouting.



" what is wrong with her". Male voice.
" what is she trying to prove, crying in front of my son."

" Don't shout Rajat." Female voice.

I knew who they were. One whom I blindly trusted who is now a stranger to me and other a complete stranger whom I have never seen or met but who was equally responsible for making my life living hell.

I stood up to face them and walked towards them.

There I stood facing 2 strangers.

I wanted to go slap them so hard..ask them what the hell the want from me now?...Tell Rajat that this is not his bloody house where he could stand like a king and shout...kick him out of my house...my head was so heavy...I was shaking with anger. 

Suddenly I realised someone was holding my feet.

(Trying to catch my breath)


I looked down, 
there she was, a beautifully dressed child, a girl with big innocent eyes, golden hairs and glowing skin.

And I knew who she was....she kept jumping so that I could pick her up. I went blank I didn't knew what I was doing. I picked her up and she started touching my nose my cheeks just like Suketu did when he was 3. But the feeling was different. This didn't bring joy or smile on my face.

I don't know what made her laugh. After a moment I saw everybody eyeing me.

"Ramya, if you can't hold Tia, you should have left her home. Haven't you taught her not to go to strangers. Just.....just... take her away. We need to talk." Rajat said.

" I can take care of her,only when you stop dancing on my head and for God sake stop shouting." And
"Don't to dare talk to me like that, next time you make remarks on me, you'll be the one responsible for Tia for one full day."

Ramya came so close to me. I saw Tia was just like her mother. She gave a smile and took the baby out and Suketu went running after them.

"Suketu, just take care of your little sister. I'll be back soon. Mummy and daddy needs to talk". Ramya said

There I was standing like a statue. Seeing a real couple fight. a Family, Happy Family. Suddenly something popped in my head and all my anger was gone.

Rajat didn't change much. Same arrogance, attitude. But at least there is someone who knows how to make him shut his mouth. I was bit satisfied seeing this. There I was facing 2 strangers. Rajat and Ramya the couple who back stabbed me. 2 completely selfish people who didn't care of anything or anyone. There they were standing shamelessly... I didn't knew what were they Up to...





Part-4: Divorce.




5 yrs back...on the day it all started....

(Me and Suketu playing)
 Suketu, don't jump from there or you'll hurt yourself baby. Come down.
Suketu came running to me and kissed me.."I love you! Mumma"
" I love you 2 my baby.."

Playing with Suketu, running after him, make him laugh, make him learn his rhymes was much more than fun. Clicking his pictures was my favourite past time. Even my little Suketu loved posing in front of the camera.

Life seemed beautiful, a small sweet loving family.

It was one afternoon when Rajat came early from office. I was ready with snacks and tea, there I was standing with tray to open the door suddenly I heard Rajat's mom crying. And his dad shouting. "Don't you cry now ,Sarla. You knew this before, didn't you. And you didn't tell me..why?"

"Dad, please don't blame her. It's all your fault." Rajat screaming.

"My fault....my fault...don't to dare to speak to me like that..I am your father not some junior in your office." Rajat's Dad shouted back.

I was standing there thinking what is wrong should I go inside and calm them down or wait for them to come out.

I have never seen dad in such a bad mood. I knew him since I was a kid. He was my dad best friend. For me uncle who loved and brought gifts for me on every occasion. And now my father in law who loved me as his own daughter.

But what is happening inside, is it some business related, what is it that mom knew and didn't tell him?... 

My head was filled with question...I turned to see Suketu. He was busy watching cartoons..

.suddenly I heard Rajat's voice " I can't live with her anymore. I love someone else dad. And this is all your fault. You made me marry her just because she was your best friends daughter. I don't love her. I am going to divorce her. If you can't  support me, fine I will leave this house."

There it was...all the questions faded. I went back to the kitchen thinking....

Is this a dream...definitely... This is a bad dream...very.........very bad dream...wake up...wake up(pinched myself) but...I saw Rajat walking out of room and out of the house. Maa and papa sat there crying...there voices clearly audible.

"Is it my fault? She is the best..best daughter..best daughter in law, best mother. She is Beautiful, intelligent, sensible, flexible, humble, caring, loving, down to earth. Why can't he see..Its been 4 yrs and he still loves that girl...what was her name that Ramya?? He is doing wrong. He is not our son.she gave everything to your son and he is a big idiot. I am telling you he is a big idiot. Divorce...Divorce...is this some kind of a joke...oh! Please stop crying and start thinking. What will we do now...stop crying...crying won't help...just stop and let me think.. We need to talk..Again...

My head was filled with questions my heart with emotions and my eyes with tears.


Girl?? What 4 yrs and that girl?? He loved some one else. Why didn't he tell me. Why nobody told me. Why...why...why...???
Why now?? What now?? How could he do this to me??

Noooo.....no...nooooo..noooooo...this can't be happening.....................we need to talk..yes......yes......everything is going to be fine...yes..yes...don't worry...

I kept thinking all this in my head. I tried to calm myself and prepare for the nightmare when he'll face me. And later that night on dinner table everything was out. And nobody could do anything.

"Ramya is pregnant. I can't leave her." Rajat said.

I need a Divorce. No need to create a fuss Neetu. Because I know what I want and I am not a kid anymore dad.. Stop telling me what should I do...
Rajat left the table.

After a long Silence.




Dad Sat there, depressed... Maa kept hand on his shoulder. 


" Please forgive us, Neetu. We tried but things our not in our hands now" Dad said.
There I was standing..I wanted to cry but that sudden pregnancy shock did much more damage to me. I was shattered. I knew my tears won't thaw his heart. I saw Suketu sitting eating his dinner quietly.

That night was too long, sharing bed with a man whom I don't even know. Who was he?? Man I married?? My husband?? Father of my son?? He can't be....we were perfect couple. Happy go lucky couple like our friends called us. What went wrong??? What did I do???


We had fights, we argued, but it was him who always won. Expressing love in words was not his idea of romance, but I knew he loved me, cared for me or may be i just tricked my mind to believe this.

He was sitting on his side of bed, he saw me and only words Came out of his mouth were, "I am done with the pretending, It's not that I haven't cared for you, I love my son. But I am not happy. I had to make a decision. I have all right to be happy in life. I can support you financially, but living in this house and be in a relationship...no...I can't fool myself."





Part-5: Last Wish.


I made an uncomfortable entry into the room towards sofa chair opposite Rajat. Ramya gave an awkward smile.

We sat there but didn't say anything and let the silence fill the room. I tried hard to read their minds but my head was filled with questions and with their blank faces and sudden arrival made everything difficult.
After a long pause.

Rajat said, " Can....can I get....a glass of water..." His voice lot calmer with no sign of arrogance.


I left the room.

I knew he preferred cold water with few drops of lemon. There are few things in life that you want to forget but still....something's refuse to leave your mind just like your shadow.

When I came back I got a glimpse of Ramya talking to my mother, which meant it was going to be Rajat alone there waiting for me.

I kept the glass on the table. Rajat took the glass and drank every drop.
"Oh! You still remember."

I could hear his heart beat. The sound of his deep breaths gave me creeps thinking, why he was here, why everybody was here.
Finally he spilled the beans.

"I...I want...we...I mean...dad wanted...," Rajat said.


He tried hard to find words...unable to explain....just few words here and there...

Finally He looked into my eyes and said. "Dad had a heart attack last month, and he is not ready to come with me. I have got job in Mumbai and I can't abandon him, can't leave him here...alone... to die. It's only him I have got. I love him so much...which made me come here."
I felt horrified....

So...you are moving to Mumbai and want me to talk to him and convince him for you. Rajat don't you think you always ask  me more than my worth. I kept my promise all these long years. Like you asked, I never contacted your parents,gave my son,accepted to meet him occasionally and never complained, so that you'll be happy with your family. You knew how much I loved your parents and Suketu. Now you want to take Suketu far away from me. I can't allow this. No....you are not taking him now. He is my son too. This time I not doing anything for you. I have sacrificed everything. Not anymore. Even my dad....

Before I could finish Rajat interrupted.

Please....Listen to me. I am not done yet. It's not easy for me.

He rubbed his wrinkled forehead.




I was surprised to see a completely different person. Tensed trying too hard to explain.

Rajat said keeping his voice down and bringing his hands on his knees.

" Dad wants me....wants....wants to correct few things..."

I tried to calm myself and listen but questions popped in my head with every word he spoke making it difficult for me to concentrate.

It was too stressing and said Rajat don't beat around the bush. And please speak up...

His voice cracking." We are here to leave Suketu with you. This is the only condition of my dad. And probably his last wish."
He stood and moved out of the room.

I sat there thinking what I heard was true. Kept repeating it...Suketu n me....me and Suketu...Suketu...

I was holding my face in my hands. I felt my heartbeat in my whole body. I went running  outside. Suketu was asleep. Saw my mom tapping his head like she did when I was a kid. I stood beside her and hugged her tightly. She patted on my hand and said." My princess, God is very Gracious."
I asked " Did you knew..when...how.."

She simply gave a sweet laugh and kissed my hand. "I love you so much."

After Dinner I was arranging kitchen when I saw a women's reflection smiling back at me in the cabinet. I turned back, found nobody.. After so many years I was relaxed, smiling..
I heard a voice..

Ramya came in and stood near the refrigerator taking out water bottle.

I tried to ignore but she was in mood to leave.

Ramya uncomfortable voice " I am sorry Neetu, please forgive me. I know I am that wicked witch for you, but believe me I never wanted to be...I...I know you had to pay a great Price for our happy lives. I can't make time turn but I know that with Suketu here...I want you know...I love Suketu...yes I do...Its your time to come back to life."

She was about to leave. When I questioned her and she stood right there.
"Ramya, were is your first born.?"
She turned and I saw her teary eyes and said " Tia is my first born."
But she is around 3 and...
She gave a weak smile and repeated Tia is my first born.

" Rajat and I were too naive. Our lies made many lives miserable. It's time for us to pay the Price for our misdeeds."
She left me thinking....

At night Suketu slept with his father in my room. From last many years nights went really rough. I liked spending time on terrace.

Spending alone time on terrace,sitting on my dad's old rocking chair, seeing the moon, beautiful stars and trying to find my him was my routine. I always knew he was watching me from above. His stories made me believe this and it felt good to be close to him.

This was not the first night that I was awake but it wasn't same like other nights. Early that morning....

I went to peek into the room and confirm everything.

Sukettu was alone, sleeping. I heard my mom's voice behind me, "they left early and asked me to give you this..."
I turned to see. ...she had an envelope with my name neatly written.

She moved her hand towards me and gave the envelope and said,"This is the right time I give you this."

She gave me that book she carried with her all the time. I looked up to see her, ask her everything confusing me but she looked so tired that I avoided the topic.

Now I had an envelope and a mystery book in my hands and numerous questions in my mind.

2 Unexpected events and 2 Unexpected things flipped my life. Suketu and I live together, eat together, pray together. Now Life is much beautiful even if it is Unexpected.











No comments:

Post a Comment