Be Mine.



Be Mine is a short read about how I agreed with these words seven years back. 



December 12, 2017.



It's a cold winter night, it snowed in Jammu and Kashmir and the temperature dropped in North India which witnessed seasons first rain. I sit in my cozy quilt with my earphones plugged in, listening to Taylor Swift's "Love Story" and ponder about happily ever after. The fictional world but more you hear more you believe and more you believe more real it gets. Its all foggy outside but memories of the day are still quite visible. So here I am ready to share my memories of the day. 

Today is the day when I met my husband (then just a stranger) seven years back. It was a small meeting, arranged for us to talk, by our parents. Just like any other arrange marriage we got few minutes to decide. Sounds strange...  but this is the truth. 

It wasn't "love at first sight" in our case. We sat there on a coffee table with sandwiches lying in the center of the table feeling confused, hesitant to ask anything or where to start but somehow conversation started.

I thought I'll probably get nervous and would do something stupid and later found the feeling was mutual. We started with lots of regular questions like hobbies and other interests. 

Well, this wasn't supposed to be easy for me talking to a complete stranger but surprisingly it was...I often take few days even to settle with my own cousins on meeting them after a long break and there I was totally comfortable in the company of a stranger. In just a few minutes we had talked everything about ourselves, past, present, and future... It was like someone had pressed the fast-forward button.

I seriously doubt such frankness, guess I was too nervous or was too scared to take a decision or maybe I was preparing myself to back my own decision with arguments.

Then came the moment to tell the decision to our parents. The things went smoothly, life's biggest decision taken in few minutes and the only thing I remember is the intensity of that moment and the rush of positive feelings all at once, its difficult to describe now in words but somehow I was sure what I wanted. It felt like I was at right place at right time with the right person. 

I don't know some call it destiny some say a gamble...I can't say assuredly about destiny but I was ready to gamble with my own life even though I tried to satisfy myself with the positivism. 

The only thing we both said was "yes"  and rest continues as the families chalked out rest of the future plans for us while we sat there smiling looking at each other every now and then trying to make peace with the flood of emotions. 

The day was a usual one but a decision made by us together to be with each other for the rest of our lives made it special. 

Not many things changed that day other than our status that went from single to committed on facebook or with family and friends but with time it did. I mean things didn't change all of sudden it went with the pace of time... Thankfully...

There was nothing we knew about each other the day we met but now there is nothing we don't know about each other. 

In these seven years, we took every step, climbed every stair, jumped every pit, pushed every hard rock to make our relationship stronger. The best part is that every hardship brought us together and our togetherness pushed much probable hardship away. We share a bond that we'll cherish all our lives and ever have stories to share with our son when he grows older and till then we are in work in progress mode. 

I won't say it was easy to decide but life is all about risk. Either you take it or drop it. No relationship stands strong on guarantee cards but on love, trust, communication, respect, understanding, compromise, patience, and sacrifice. You need work on every aspect altogether to make a marriage work.

I am glad that my risk paid off and I never thought about "what if" it hadn't for once.

Arrange marriages seems strange from outside, where two strangers decide to get married after one or two meetings or maybe in few minutes and are termed husband and wife in few days sharing everything from home, families, lives, feelings, emotions, beds...but it's actually not when you yourself get to experience it.

Who says that you need to fall in love within a day or two. You can take time till your heart confirms because the heart is one part of the body that has its own pace you can't ask it to run or crawl. The moment its ready to accept you get to know and the moment you know everything flows in order...


Life is beautiful when you have someone who loves you, cares for you and importantly respects you.

I am happy with my life and looking forward to wonderful years ahead...and grateful for the beautiful past...



Thanks for reading...


6 comments:

  1. विभा बहुतअच्छा लिख है

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you😊😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely mam... Your writing style is so simple n fluent.it feels like listening rather than reading.

    ReplyDelete