Christmas - A Journey.




Hey, Its Christmas already... 

The moment I hear someone say Ho-Ho-Ho my heart is filled with joy and face brightens up with a wide smile... Its a wonderful time to celebrate right before the year end.

This post is about lessons learnt from the journey of a great man's fictional character and understanding the true meaning of Christmas.

This isn't my first post on Christmas... Last time I wrote about its comparison with Diwali... Where I mentioned that there's no difference between both of them. Many people outside India consider Diwali as Indian Christmas and I with my family (typical Punjabis) prefer celebrating both.

Christmas is not new for us(Indians). We all celebrate it in one way or the other be it for religious reason, be the part of celebrations in school as kid, dressing our kids as Santa, waiting for the holiday to relax or be the part of discounted shopping...etc...etc..The reasons can be many so are the preferences...

I was introduced to the festival as a kid when we had celebrations in school but I never found any connection, no dressing up like Santa, no candies or gifts or any family gathering. Just a formal celebration in school, Surprisingly I don't remember much. For me it was just a break from school and start of winter vacations and nothing more. But the person that changed my whole point of view was Charles Dickens.

There was a brief chapter "A Christmas Carol" in English book which was as boring as other things happening in the class. I was always interested in stories but only when someone told with full expressions and not that boring line to line reading that too in instalments. For me it was just a chapter that needed to be read and prepared for the exam, a story about transformation of an old man Ebenezer Scrooge who is visited by the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

There was something about the story that never left my mind and in later years I Googled about it and found it.

This time again I was doing the same, line to line reading but this time it was not due to fear of anything or anyone but for myself. It was not a simpler version that meant for classroom reading... I had to keep my dictionary close because its from classic British novelist. 

This time Dickens writing and the journey of his fictional character Scrooge left a mark on my soul. He pointed out several things throughout Scrooge's journey that I still remember after so many years which made me think and rethink about the whole concept of Christmas.

The great man taught great lessons not just to me but I believe to everyone who has read his book or heard the story. He made me realize that Christmas has a deeper meaning. It is the tenderness for the past, courage for the present and hope for the future.

The key lessons I learnt:
Firstly, The most important lesson is that there are many things in life that money can't buy, its love and happiness. We all are busy running in race of life to earn money. Money surely gives comfort but family, friends and their togetherness holds much worth. Money won't help you in cheating death nor do togetherness but it surely will make you respect your life's journey. 

Secondly, Anyone can change, even overnight. Nothing is impossible and its never too late to do or start anything new,  only if you are willing to change. There's always a scope to get better and one must reach out for it. 

Thirdly,  One must contribute little bit to the society by being a helping hand for those who needs it and be a reason of smile on someone face. 

Those who don't like reading as most of friends, there is another option to experience the journey with Animated movie by the same name. 
Movie poster - A Christmas Carol. 
Jim Carrey as Scrooge will give you goosebumps. I am not a critic but I think its the best visualized option. 

I personally celebrate Christmas to Honor the lessons I learnt which in a course of time I will pass on to my son, whom we want to understand different religions and respect them.

We(our family) don't celebrate Christmas the traditional way and definitely not the way the marketers wants us by spending too much unnecessarily. 

Nesting is what we do... For us its a festival that means spending quality time together with our own cute little Santa. Make him smile which reflects back on our faces.

What can be better gift than getting embraced by cute little Santa. 

Furthermore, It's a perfect time to pause and gaze upon the important things around us - a time when we can look back on the year that has passed and prepare for the year ahead.

This is what we have taught our son that Christmas is nothing but loving, caring and sharing. Altogether it is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is forgetting self and finding time for others.

We just want him to remember that Christmas is not a day but a feeling to restore in the heart for forever... We never let the Christmas spirit die and Santa is part of our conversation whole year but definitely the celebration takes place on 25th December every year.


We decorate small artificial tree with bells, stars, lights and have dinner together. We celebrate it by showing our gratitude to God as he never left us disappointed and gave many reasons to celebrate.

We (me and my husband) feel the best way to thank God for his blessings is by helping others in one or the other way and pray that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace.

I just wish that people should not tag any festival to any particular religion and celebrate them with full enthusiasm. As festival means celebrating togetherness.

Ending this with few Christmas gift suggestions through a beautiful quote by Oren Arnord:
 To your enemy-  forgiveness.
 To an opponent-  tolerance.
 To a friend- your heart.
 To a customer- service.
 To all- charity.
 To every child- a good example.
 To yourself-  respect.


Merry Christmas everyone...



No comments:

Post a Comment